Monday, October 02, 2006

Not really a drive by, just amazingly insensitive

I read this story at Julia's Here Be Hippogriffs blog. I've had enough dealings with insensitive doctors and nurses to sympathize, but it was still startling to read about her experience.

She had to have a D&C becuase of fetal death, and the following is the lovely exchange she had with the person who handled her admission (as she wrote in her post For Fear Of Repeating Myself) . . .
"Date of your last menstrual period?" she asked.

"Ummmmm...." . . .

"As best as you can recall," she assured me.

"July 3rd."

"LUCKY!"

"I wish *I* hadn't had MY period since July!" she continued, just in case I had somehow misunderstood.

There was a pause during which I contemplated the ceiling and wondered if I was the first dead-fetus-carrying woman in history to be so enthusiastically envied the temporary suspension of her menses.

"You know... all that blood."

Yeah. I know. All that blood.

I am still laughing about it. I like the absurd.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home